The Mediterranean diet was inspired by the dietary patterns of the Greece, Southern Italy and Spain which mainly includes high but proportional consumption of Olive Oil, Legumes, Fruits, Vegetables and Unrefined Cereals. It also consists of high consumption of Fish, moderate consumption of cheese and yoghurt with Wine Consumption and Low meat and meat product consumption.
A research conducted on more than 1.5 million healthy adults showed that following the Mediterranean diet reduced the risks of death from Heart diseases and cancers. It was also proved to have reduced Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s diseases. Dietary guidelines for America states that Mediterranean diet helps promote better health and prevent disease and are also a good diet which can be followed by the entire family.
The key component of Mediterranean diet is as follows:
• Eating plant-based foods is the primary agenda. Foods such as fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes and nuts are consumed. These should be processed minimally. Consuming vegetables and fruits as snacks is promoted. Nuts are good sources of fibre, protein and healthy fats.
• Butter is replaced with healthy fats like Olive Oil or Canola Oil.
• Herbs and spices are used instead of salt to give the food required flavors. Herbs and spices not only make the food spicy but it also makes it a healthy replacement.
• Red Meat is limited to just few times a month
• Fish and Poultry is consumed at least twice a week.
• Consumption of red wine in moderation but it’s not a must. This is optional